Sunday, December 25, 2011

Jesus and Snowflakes

Obviously I will start with Merry Christmas, Happy Channakuh, and Merry Yule. I am lucky that my family celebrates all three, and that we embrace all religions and cultures. The past week at home has been beautiful. I attended a Yule celebration (a Pagan holiday) that my mother organized, Christmas Eve service at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation that I grew up in, and Christmas dinner tonight with my entire family. On my last day of classes for the term my Journalism teacher reminded us to remember how incredibly lucky we are to be learning together at college. Last night my mother chatted about how difficult it is for 'normal' people to navigate through this world, and how much suffering there is. And then, speaking as a special needs teacher, she reminded me how difficult it is for those people that function differently than the 'normal' person. My older brother told me the most inspiring story of the year yesterday. He does not believe in Christmas, or any other religious holiday. But he does believe in appreciating and helping others. This past Thursday he and his amazing girlfriend took unwanted bagels from a bagelry in San Diego, over 150, and put them in bags with some candy. They dished it out to the homeless people that line the streets in California.

These acts of kindness is what Christmas should be all about. As my mother bustles around feeding her children and making sure they are happy, we should remember that we are all children of the earth and deserve to be treated with the same respect and compassion that my brother gave the homeless people, and how my mother treats her children.

Tip of the Week: (This is inspired by my best friend in California) Take a walk today with someone you love. Find gratitude wherever you find family, and let them know how much you care. We are all here in support of one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment